Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Blog #3: Final Thoughts on Technology

1. What have I learned in this course?

I think the better question is, what haven't I learned? The amount of resources I have been exposed to in just 8 short days, is phenomenal! I always knew there was a lot on the internet but I think in the busyness of day to day teaching, I often don't take time to see what's out there. That being said, I know I do many awesome things in my room too so I don't want to throw myself under the bus. Who would? But I do think I have taken this class at the perfect time, the beginning of summer. While I work on different areas of my curriculum this summer, I'm excited to see how I can utilize the things I've learned.

In addition to learning different 2.0 tools, I think I've learned more effective ways to search for things. I think I'll search more now before "inventing the wheel" in some areas.

2. How has my project experience helped you?

I have learned that you cannot do everything in Microsoft Word and just cut and paste it. :) I have also learned that it's not a good idea to embed an actual picture link into your site unless you want it to serve as a hyperlink. It's much better to save it as an image first.

On a more serious note, I've learned that I can create a mini unit of sorts for my students to use at a self-guided pace via a webquest. I'm excited to see how I can use this not only for math (my current webquest) but also language arts when we get to book clubs. I also think I can use it more for social studies as well as science. I don't think I would necessarily fill out all components of a webquest if I were the only using it but I do think it's wise to fill out all teacher pages for the purpose of this course.

3. How do I see technology being used in my own classroom?

I think I've been somewhat apprehensive to use technology to its fullest potential because sometimes I'm comfortable with what I'm doing and technology can bring out a whole bunch of unknowns. This course has helped build my confidence and made me excited to add elements into my lessons to make them more appealing. I also realize that I have to add on one thing at a time. There are times when I think back to all you've shown us and my mind whirls at where to begin. I have to remind myself that in terms of technology I'm nowhere close to my 15 years of teaching, and yet I'm farther along than some.

4. What are your future plans for technology in your teaching?

I would like to explore how I can supplement some units that are lacking or ones I've always done a certain way.

One program I am interested in utilizing is Voice Thread. I learned about it while visiting a technology in education blog. It's am amazing way to involve your students more in their learning.

I am going to purchase my husband's "old" Lenovo Thinkpad and plan on bringing that to school this coming year instead of the lower end laptop provided by the school. I'm going to get connected to the internet so I can make it easier to use the technology. I think just by having it easier to access (as opposed to taking everyone down to the computer lab)I'll be more prone to use it.

I'm also excited to use some of the photo sites on my newly improved web site for my classroom. I'd like to set up something on the site too where my kids can blog about different projects we're doing in class. I know that's a big undertaking but I want to see what I can do. I do have to keep in mind that I have 3rd graders with some overly concerned parents coming in this year so I don't want to jeopardize their child's privacy in any way shape or form.

5. What outstanding issues need to be addressed as I continue to use technology?

I think my biggest issue is remembering all we've learned. Truth be told, I don't think anyone can remember all we were shown. :) I do feel though that you are a very easy to approach person. I feel that I could email you later down the road if I had a question and you would do your best to direct me to the right source.

I also think I need to set up some sort of database for myself to list different sources and ways I can utilize them. I wish I had done a better job of organizing things from the get go but I'm not sure the pace or set up of the class (not your fault) would allow for me to keep up any better than I have. I do agree that this course isn't overly conducive to being taught in only 8 days. Thanks for making it enjoyable though and well worth the money!

1 comment:

  1. Kirsten, I fully expect you to email me in the future and ask me questions and also provide me with updates on tools that you've tried and the difficulties and successes you encounter along the way. I can learn much from your experiences and that can help me shape future classes I teach. You are pretty unique in that you're a very experienced teacher, yet you're still constantly thinking about how you can improve as a teacher. I have no doubt your students benefit by having you as a teacher.

    On a more personal note, thank you for the gift card and the nice note. I thoroughly enjoyed having you in class. If we end up having another class together, hopefully it's a regular semester where we get some breathing room and time to digest things. ;~)

    ReplyDelete